This is one of my favorite dishes to make. It’s comforting, bursting with flavor, and easily modifiable.
We buy tortilla chips every week and usually end up with half of the bag left over. Instead of throwing the rest out, I decided to try something new by adding them to this simple breakfast. You can even use stale tortilla chips and this dish would still be tasty!
The creaminess of the avocado, the runny egg, the crunchiness of the salty tortilla chips is a perfect blend in your mouth.
Prep time 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cups black beans
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup red pepper
- 1 cup salsa
- 8 corn tortillas
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup Mexican cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste (optional)
- Cilantro, to taste (optional)
- Hot Sauce (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
2) In an oven-safe frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the black beans, onion, tomatoes and red pepper and stir-fry until the onion is translucent, for about 3-4 minutes. Add the salsa and mix to combine. Add the fried corn tortillas and carefully mix until all the tortillas are covered with the sauce.
3) Crack the 4 eggs over the tortillas and sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
4) Bake until the eggs have been cooked to desired doneness. Keep a close eye on the eggs and check them regularly.
5) Sprinkle with cheese right before eggs are to desired doneness.
6) Remove from oven and top with a few slices of avocado.
7) Garnish with cilantro leaves and hot sauce, if desired
8) Serve immediately.