This Caprese Grilled Cheese is the perfect lunch for summer! All you need is a few fresh ingredients and you’ve got an easy and delicious meal in under 15 minutes.
I made this Caprese Grilled Cheese with the tomato and sweet basil from my garden. It was a rewarding and delicious meal to make!
This recipe yields 2 Caprese Grilled Cheese sandwiches.
- 4 slices of ciabatta bread
- 4 thin slices of tomato
- 4-5 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 4 tbsp of store-bought basil pesto spread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to your pan and set the heat to low-medium (do not allow the oil to smoke)
- Cut your ciabatta loaf into 4 slices
- Spread the basil pesto sauce on each slice of bread (1 tbsp per slice)
- Place your mozzarella on top of the pesto spread
- Sprinkle the mozzarella with a little salt
- Add your fresh basil to the pan and cook for 30 seconds
- Remove the basil from the pan and place on top of the mozzarella
- Place tomato slices on top of the mozzarella
- Add the top slice of ciabatta to your sandwich
- Place sandwiches in the center of your pan and cover with a lid. Cook each side for 3 minutes. Remove the lid and place something heavy like a cast-iron skillet or another small pan on top of your sandwich. Use the pressure of your hands to press down on the sandwich. This will allow your cheese to melt.
- I did this for an additional 3 minutes for each side.
- When turning the sandwiches be careful. Use a spatula to help you keep the sandwich together.
- Once the mozzarella is melted and bread is golden brown remove the sandwiches and eat right away.
Next time I make this I will cut thinner slices from the ciabatta loaf or I will use a thinner kind of bread. I am a huge bread lover so I didn’t mind the bread to cheese/tomato ratio, but I think this could have been even tastier with a thinner type of bread. You could try Italian, sourdough, or even wheat toast! Ideally, the toast should be about ¾ thick!